Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
York man dies after officer-related shooting

York man dies after officer-related shooting


UPDATE -- At 1:35 p.m., Sunday, York Police Chief Don Klug confirmed that Timothy Case, 53, of York, has died.

Case died from the injuries he sustained in an officer-related shooting early this morning, shortly after midnight (see below).

Chief Klug said a grand jury will be convened in the matter, which is protocol any time something of this nature happens while a person is being taken into police custody or is in police custody.


YORK – A 53-year-old York man is in critical condition after an officer-related shooting at York General Hospital early Sunday morning.

York Police Chief Don Klug explained that shortly after midnight, officers were dispatched to the hospital as a man was reportedly wielding a knife and threatening hospital staff.

“When they arrived, they issued the command for him to drop his knife, but he continued to threaten staff and was also threatening the police officers,” Chief Klug said. “They deployed a taser on the subject two times, both times to no avail. The subject continued to be threatening and was refusing to drop his weapon. At that point, they also attempted to deploy chemical means, using pepper spray, but again to no avail. Officers repeated commands for him to stop and drop his weapon, but he refused” and the threatening behavior advanced toward officers.

Chief Klug said at that point, the man was shot by one of the officers.

The man, identified as Timothy Case, was transported by helicopter to Bryan LGH in Lincoln.

“At this point, it is our understanding that he is in critical condition,” Klug said.

Klug said he did not know why Case was at the hospital in the first place. “We have not yet received that information.”

The officers involved in the situation were Roger Wolfe, who has been with the police department since 1999, and Christopher Jepsen, who has been with the police department since 2013.

“Both officers have been placed on administrative leave at this time,” Klug said. “That is standard procedure. The administrative leave is by no means a disciplinary action. The officers did all they could to diffuse the situation before having to take the action they did. They did all they could and this administrative leave is simply protocol.”

This is the first officer-related shooting involving the York Police Department in approximately 15 years, Chief Klug said.

A formal investigation is underway, which is being conducted by the Nebraska State Patrol.

Read the YGH comments on the situation HERE

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News