Nearly two dozen people, including several young children, living in a northwest Omaha home were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after walking into a hospital, officials said.
The incident happened late Tuesday night, when 22 people — all members of the same family — walked into an Omaha emergency room displaying symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, officials said. Among them were at least seven children under the age of 12.
Firefighters were then sent to the home in the Irvington neighborhood, where they found toxic levels of carbon monoxide. Several Omaha-area fire departments and EMTs also helped transport various family members to nearby hospitals for treatment. All are expected to recover.
A language barrier complicated the incident because the residents of the home are from Myanmar, the dispatcher said. Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, is a Southeast Asian nation of more than 100 ethnic groups.
Officials said firefighters and utility crews were working to determine the source of the carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas that can cause illness and death.
The man who wasn't wearing a mask ran up and spit at the man who was, police said. The two men began scuffling and wrestling, and the unmasked man pulled out a pistol-type BB gun and shot the man in the neck.
North Platte police received information Wednesday “regarding suspicious financial activity,” the department said. An investigation found “several transactions that appeared to be personal in nature," police say.
Special prosecutor Frederick Franklin's statements, the suit says, "included implications that Mr. Gardner was a racist" and "also falsely stated that it was Mr. Gardner's own words that showed his intent to kill."
The court was satisfied with each juror’s assurance that they did not consider Sasse’s comments during deliberations or let such comments influence their verdicts in an Oxford man's sex trafficking trial.